Friday, June 30, 2006

Cheap WiFi router?

I've been thinking about setting up a small, home WiFi network because I'm constantly tripping over cables and anything I can do to remove another from the floor is great. It's also pretty cool being online from the back garden :D The downside is that a WiFi router isn't really practical because of the cost for me. I know they don't cost a lot but the price is something I have to justify and I can't so when I read a news item on the BBC website about cheap routers I read on with great interest.

Basically it's a company that claim they want to help spread WiFi access and are offering routers for a very low price ($5 US or €5, delivery and taxes to be added) as long as you use their software. The software that you use just lets your WiFi router serve as an access point for anyone. If you are a member of the site you are classed as either a Linus, a Bill or an Alien. Linus' share their connection so they can access any other connections for free, Bill's get a cut of money that Alien's have to pay to gain access. If it works as it claims then you can earn money from sharing your connection using their WiFi router and software. I want a cheap router but if I can make money from it too bonus! :P

No comments: